Institute of Indology

Ahmedabad, India

Year: 1959

Institutional

To preserve the rare manuscripts and their dissemination the architect proposed a well-lighted and ventilated, half-buried basement, orientated to the north-south axis. The raised floor is provided for administration and the first floor, a conference hall with peripheral balconies.

The incorporation of these solutions in a reinforced concrete form gave the institute building the form of a ship, and the detailing of that of a wooden haveli.